Living the Connection:
The Continuing United Methodist Church
United Methodists profess the historic Christian faith in God, incarnate in Jesus Christ
for our salvation and ever at work in human history in the Holy Spirit.
The United Methodist Book of Discipline, paragraph 102, Section 1, Our Doctrinal Heritage
Resources for your Local Church
Resource Pages on the Western North Carolina Conference Website:
- The Continuing United Methodist Church
- Disaffiliation Process and Information
- Continuing As a United Methodist Church Member: Transferring Membership
- Western North Carolina Conference #BeUMC resources
Resource Sections shown below:
- Bishop Carter Videos and Statements
- Western North Carolina Conference / Northern Piedmont District resources:
- Council of Bishops resources
- Denominational Resources
- Sharing from your Western North Carolina Conference General/Jurisdicational Delegation
- #ProudtobeUMC - Adam Hamilton Videos Responding to Misinformation (September 2022)
- Other Commentaries & Sharing
Bishop Carter's 7 Reasons Why He Loves The UMC
Bishop Ken Carter, Resident Bishop of the Western NC and Florida Conferences, shares 7 reasons why he loves The United Methodist Church.
Living in Connection in a Season of Waiting
Bishop Carter shares an important message on living in connection in our current season of waiting.
Bishop Carter videos / statements:
- A Message from Bishop Carter - August 17, 2022
- Message from Bishop Carter - Dear Clergy and Laity of the Western North Carolina Conference: Over the past week, we have become aware of 31 churches who, with the encouragement of the Wesleyan Covenant Association – Western North Carolina (WCA-WNC), have engaged with a Florida law firm and are demanding transfer into a new denomination. We are deeply grieved by this action, as we seek to be a church united and engaged in making disciples of Jesus. ... Read more.
- Letter from Florida law firm
- Letter of Response from our WNCC Conference Chancellor, Greg Huffman
- A Resource From Bishop Carter About Misinformation in The UMC - August 3, 2022
- Video - Bishop Carter's 7 Reasons Why He Loves The UMC - YouTube - June 14, 2022
- UMsConnected - Watching Over One Another in Love - June 14, 2022
- UMsConnected is a community walking together during this time of transition, "watching over one another in love," as John Wesley put it.
- UMsConnected website is https://umsconnected.com/
- Seven Reasons Why I Love The United Methodist Church - April 23, 2022
- Easter Message - April 13, 2022
- Living the Connection in a Season of Waiting - March 15, 2022
- Transcript of Living the Connection in a Season of Waiting, along with links to other resources
- Pastoral Response to the Postponement of General Conference - March 5, 2022
- Episcopal Office Answers Frequently Asked Questions on the Further Postponement of General Conference - March 14, 2022
- Defining and Growing an Inclusive, Gracious and Evangelical Center: The Future(s) of The United Methodist Church
- Florida Conference - Frequently Asked Questions - Some references are specifically Florida Conference, but Bishop Carter serves both the Florida Conference and our Western North Carolina Conference, and this FAQ has been shared in Florida based on Laity conversations happening there. Shared October 26, 2019.
- The Cross and the Flame Bishop Carter’s General Conference opening sermon: A sermon for the Special Session of the General Conference of the United Methodist Church by Kenneth H. Carter, Jr., President, Council of Bishops on February 24, 2019, in St. Louis, Missouri
Western North Carolina Conference / Northern Piedmont District resources:
- Podcast – April 12, 2022 - A Future with Hope: A Conversation with the WNC Delegation
- Check out the weekly Means of Grace Podcasts
- Stay informed about all matters through the Western North Carolina Conference E-News – Sign up at: https://www.wnccumc.org/ (Scroll down to bottom right corner of the homepage to enter your email address to subscribe to the E-News)
- Posts shared by Rev. Bev Coppley, Northern Piedmont District Superintendent:
- Where do our local church apportionment dollars go? Look up your local church 2022 apportionments information, pie charts on how they are spent, and click on any individual line items to read more about the mission and ministry supported through your connectional giving. Use this link to look up your local church
Council of Bishops resources:
- Council of Bishops website
- Bishops Share a Narrative for the Continuing United Methodist Church
- Full Text of the Narrative for the Continuing United Methodist Church
- Video - Council of Bishops: A message on the narrative of The United Methodist Church
- UM News article - Bishops offer framework for inclusive church
- Bishops push back against recruitment tactics - September 28, 2022
- African bishops condemn Africa Initiative and WCA - Council of Bishops - September 8, 2022
- Bishop urges end to falsehoods, pivot to future - UMNews - August 23, 2022 - Bishop Bickerton, President of the Council of Bishops, addressed the Council on Monday, August 22, 2022.
- We are the Church. Together. - Every United Methodist should take a moment to pause, rediscover and reconnect with what our global denomination is all about. A new presentation slide deck is available to help church leaders encourage congregations to root into our shared beliefs, history, mission and ministry in order to stand strong and face the future — together.
- People of God #BeUMC Campaign: The People of God campaign celebrates the core values that connect the people of The United Methodist Church. We are faithful, Jesus-seeking, missional, committed, spirit-filled, deeply rooted, connected, resilient, justice-seeking and diverse people of God.
- #BeUMC Discussion Guide (PDF) - In these pages, you will find a series of guides
intended to help individuals and groups think through what it means to be United Methodist—to
- Be UMC Worship & Preaching Resources: Incorporate the #BeUMC campaign into worship services with the help of this sermon series developed by Discipleship Ministries.
- UMNews: Comprehensive news about The United Methodist Church
- Sign up for the United Methodist News Service e-news to get daily (or weekly) news from The United Methodist Church.
- Is The United Methodist Church really...? (Part 1) - UMC.org
- At Ask The UMC, we have been answering an increasing number of questions from congregations wondering about the future of The United Methodist Church and whether they should consider disaffiliating from it. Among these have been some recurrent questions that reflect misperceptions or misinformation that some congregations are receiving as they are discerning their next steps. This is a series of articles we will present to offer accurate responses to such misperceptions or misinformation.
- Is The United Methodist Church really...? Part I - July 7, 2022
- Is The United Methodist Church really...? Part II - July 15, 2022
- Is The United Methodist Church really...? Part III - August 31, 2022
- Is The United Methodist Church really...? Part IV - September 2022
- Is The United Methodist Church really...? Part V - September 30, 2022
- Wespath (UMC General Agency for clergy pension benefits):
- Wespath - Disaffiliation Information page with links related to the impact of disaffiliations on pensions, benefits and liabilities funding.
- Wespath - Video - A Conversation with Wespath Benefits and Investments about Pension Liabilities - July 6, 2022
- Wespath - (Bulletin 5641) - GC 2020 FAQs (postponed to 2024): GC 2019 Legislation; Disaffiliation of Local Churches and Clergy
- Wespath - (Bulletin 5857) - General Conference (2024): FAQs Regarding Church and Conference Disaffiliations
- Wespath - (Bulletin 5861) - Clergy Withdrawals—Impact on Benefits of Terminating Annual
Conference Relationship under ¶360
- Wespath - (Bulletin 5506) - Contingencies for Potential UMC Restructure or Disruption
- Wespath - (Bulletin 5922) - Wespath’s Role in Determining Withdrawal Liabilities
- Key Judicial Council Rulings:
- August 22, 2022 - UM News - Church court clarifies property-transfer rules
- August 22, 2022 - ResourceUMC - Judicial Council Ruling 1449
- August 24, 2022 - UMC Bishops welcome Judicial Council's clarification of church disaffiliation process
- May 10, 2022 - UM News - Church court: Conferences can’t exit unilaterally
- May 10, 2022 - ResourceUMC - Judicial Council Ruling 1444
- May 20, 2022 - UM News - Ruling opens door for bishop elections in 2022
- May 20, 2022 - ResourceUMC - Judicial Council Ruling 1445
- June 1, 2022 - UM News - Church court modifies ruling on bishop elections
- June 1, 2022 - ResourceUMC - Judicial Council Memorandum 1446
- August 22, 2022 - UM News - Church court clarifies property-transfer rules
- Reconciliation and Grace Through Separation (Protocol) Website: A proposal to restructure The United Methodist Church by separation as the best means to resolve our differences
- What is the United Methodist Trust Clause? - UMC.org
- Podcast - UMC Discipline Paragraph 2548.2 - What's the Story? - UMC General Commission on Archives and History, Hosted by Dr. Ashley Boggan Dreff, General Secretary
- Understanding our spiritual goal as United Methodists - VIDEO - Dr. Ashley Boggan Dreff, General Secretary of the General Commission on Archives & History - May 11, 2022
- Connectional Table Webinar: Should I Stay or Should I Go?: As our church experiences a tumultuous season, you may be wondering what our disagreements and decisions will mean for you.
- Tuesdays at the Table: What do you understand when you hear, "This is the Lord's table and we don't set the guest list?": Dr. Edgardo Colón-Emeric talks about what it means to invite everyone to the Lord's Table.
- United Methodist Church Foundational Documents - The United Methodist Church identifies four documents as the "doctrinal standards" of the denomination.
- The Wesleyan Concept of Grace
- Online free edition of The Book of Discipline of The United Methodist Church
Sharing from your Western North Carolina Conference General/Jurisdicational Delegation:
- Means of Grace Podcast: A Future with Hope - A Conversation with the WNC Delegation - April 12, 2022
- Update from the WNCC Delegation - August 11, 2021
Video 1 - Adam Hamilton Responds to Rob Renfroe: Why UMC?
Video 2 - Adam Hamilton Responds to Rob Renfroe: Love of Scripture
Video 3 - Adam Hamilton Responds to Rob Renfroe: Committed to Christ
Video 4 - Adam Hamilton Responds to Rob Renfroe: Human Sexuality
Video 5 - Adam Hamilton Responds to Rob Renfroe: A Future with Hope
Video 6 - Coming Soon
Adam Hamilton presentation at 2022 Leadership Institute, September 29, 2022
Other Commentaries & Sharing:
- Dear Dad... - A seven-part series of videos shared on YouTube by Rev. Dr. Stan Copeland, Senior Pastor of Lover's Lane United Methodist Church in Dallas, Texas, where he is sharing important information that he wants his Dad to know as he with his church considers disaffiliation.
- A People of Refuge - Lay Leader Reflection by Derrick Scott, III, Co-Lay Leader of the Florida Conference - September 24, 2022
- A Study Series for Traditional United Methodists Who Long to Remain in The United Methodist Church - Presented by Chapelwood United Methodist Church, Houston, Texas
- A Pastoral Conversation Regarding Homosexuality and Same-Sex Marriage in the Church - Rev. Dr. Tom Pace III, Senior Pastor, St. Luke's United Methodist Church, Houston, Texas
- United Methodist Insight: Discerning God's will for the future
- That We May Be One: The UMC into the future
- No One is Held Captive - Lay Leader Reflection by Alice Williams, Co-Lay Leader of the Florida Conference - August 20, 2022
- A Future With Hope for the UMC - Vimeo - July 31, 2022 - Presentation / Conversation on the future of the United Methodist Church with Rev. Adam Hamilton at Chapelwood UMC in Houston, TX.
- Adam Hamilton - Vespers Live on Facebook - August 2, 2022 - A similar conversation on the future of the United Methodist Church
- Diverse and Still United: A Conversation With Adam Hamilton and John Stephens (YouTube) - June 14, 2022
- Recording of webinar conversation with Rev. Adam Hamilton and Rev. John Stephens about the continuing United Methodist Church.
- Why We Are Staying in the UMC | Rev. Adam Hamilton - May 17, 2022
- The Gracious Orthodoxy of United Methodism – April 13, 2022
- Adam Hamilton is writing a series of articles on The United Methodist Church reflecting upon what he finds compelling about The United Methodist Church, hope for its future, and why he and the Church of the Resurrection will remain United Methodist. This is the second article in the series, shared April 13, 2022.
- Postponing General Conference may be a good thing - April 22, 2022 - Commentary by the Rev. Dr. Lovett H. Weems, Jr.