Living the Connection:
The Continuing United Methodist Church
Resources for your Local Church
Bishop Carter videos / statements:
- Seven Reasons Why I Love The United Methodist Church - https://wnc-email.brtapp.com/files/districts/northern+piedmont/bishop+ken+carter+-+seven+reasons+why+i+love+the+united+methodist+church+20220423.pdf
- Easter Message - https://www.wnccumc.org/newsdetail/an-easter-message-from-bishop-carter-16433095
- Living the Connection in a Season of Waiting - https://www.wnccumc.org/detail/living-in-connection-in-a-season-of-waiting-16393725
- Transcript of Living the Connection in a Season of Waiting, along with links to other resources: https://wnc.brtapp.com/files/websites/www/communications/from+the+bishop/living+in+a+season+of+waiting+transcript+with+sources.pdf
- Pastoral Response to the Postponement of General Conference - https://www.wnccumc.org/detail/bishop-carter-pastoral-response-to-the-general-conference-announcement-16384698
- Episcopal Office Answers Frequently Asked Questions on the Further Postponement of General Conference - https://www.wnccumc.org/detail/general-conference-postponement-faqs-16392829
- Defining and Growing an Inclusive, Gracious and Evangelical Center: The Future(s) of The United Methodist Church - http://florida-email.brtapp.com/files/fileslibrary/email+blast/1.17.20carter+monograph_final.pdf
- Florida Conference - Frequently Asked Questions - https://www.flumc.org/files/fileslibrary/bishop+carter/frequently+asked+questions-+final_3.23.22%5b77242%5d.pdf. Some references are specifically Florida Conference, but Bishop Carter serves both the Florida Conference and our Western North Carolina Conference, and this FAQ has been shared in Florida based on Laity conversations happening there.
Western North Carolina Conference / Northern Piedmont District resources:
- Podcast – April 12, 2022 - A Future with Hope: A Conversation with the WNC Delegation – https://www.wnccumc.org/detail/means-of-grace-a-future-with-hope-conversation-with-the-wnc-delegation-16422181
- Check out the weekly Means of Grace Podcasts at https://www.wnccumc.org/meansofgrace
- Stay informed about all matters through the Western North Carolina Conference E-News – Sign up at: https://www.wnccumc.org/ (Scroll down to bottom right corner of the homepage to enter your email address to subscribe to the E-News)
- Giving Thanks for You – Rev. Bev Coppley, Northern Piedmont District Superintendent – January 20, 2022 - https://www.northernpiedmontumc.org/post/15859147
- In Praise of Clarity, Ears, and Voice – Rev. Bev Coppley – February 12, 2022 - https://www.northernpiedmontumc.org/post/16319069
- Where do our local church apportionment dollars go? Look up your local church 2022 apportionments information, pie charts on how they are spent, and click on any individual line items to read more about the mission and ministry supported through your connectional giving. Use this link to look up your local church: https://www.wnccumc.org/church-remittances-and-more
Council of Bishops resources:
- Bishops Share a Narrative for the Continuing United Methodist Church - https://www.wnccumc.org/detail/bishops-share-a-narrative-for-the-continuing-united-methodist-church-15750675
- Full Text of the Narrative for the Continuing United Methodist Church - https://www.unitedmethodistbishops.org/files/websites/www/a+narrative+for+the+continuing+united+methodist+church...._.pdf
- Video - Council of Bishops: A message on the narrative of The United Methodist Church - https://youtu.be/vcKLlcnCrHg
- UM News article - Bishops offer framework for inclusive church - https://www.umnews.org/en/news/bishops-offer-framework-for-inclusive-church
- People of God #BeUMC Campaign: The People of God campaign celebrates the core values that connect the people of The United Methodist Church. We are faithful, Jesus-seeking, missional, committed, spirit-filled, deeply rooted, connected, resilient, justice-seeking and diverse people of God.
- Wespath (UMC General Agency for clergy pension benefits) - FAQs Regarding Church and Conference Disaffiliations - https://www.wespath.org/assets/1/7/5857.pdf
- Wespath - Contingencies for Potential UMC Restructure or Disruption - https://www.wespath.org/assets/1/7/5506.pdf
- Wespath - Disaffiliation Information page with links related to the impact of disaffiliations on pensions, benefits and liabilities funding.
- Key Judicial Council Rulings:
- What is the United Methodist Trust Clause? - https://www.umc.org/en/content/ask-the-umc-what-is-the-united-methodist-trust-clause
- Sign up for the United Methodist News Service e-news to get daily (or weekly) news from The United Methodist Church.
- United Methodist Church Foundational Documents - The United Methodist Church identifies four documents as the "doctrinal standards" of the denomination.
- The Wesleyan Concept of Grace
- Online free edition of The Book of Discipline of The United Methodist Church
Sharing from your Western North Carolina Conference General/Jurisdicational Delegation:
- Means of Grace Podcast: A Future with Hope - A Conversation with the WNC Delegation - April 12, 2022
- Update from the WNCC Delegation - August 11, 2021
- The Gracious Orthodoxy of United Methodism – April 13, 2022 - https://www.adamhamilton.com/blog/the-gracious-orthodoxy-of-united-methodism#.YldogejMKUk
- Adam Hamilton is writing a series of articles on The United Methodist Church reflecting upon what he finds compelling about The United Methodist Church, hope for its future, and why he and the Church of the Resurrection will remain United Methodist. This is the second article in the series, shared April 13, 2022.
- Postponing General Conference may be a good thing - April 22, 2022 - Commentary by the Rev. Dr. Lovett H. Weems Jr.
- Transcript / UMNews article - https://www.umnews.org/en/news/postponing-general-conference-may-be-a-good-thing
- YouTube Video of Lovett Weems - https://youtu.be/wNfOGd-bVLM