2023 Disaster Response - Wildfires in Hawaii
posted on August 20
2023 DISASTER RESPONSE: Wildfires in Hawaii
I am sure you join me in praying for the people affected by the wildfires on Maui. Our Western North Carolina Conference has already sent a gift of $10,000 to District Superintendent Tom Choi to help with immediate needs at Lahaina UMC, which was completely destroyed by the fire. There are many immediate needs in their community.
We have received this update from UMCOR, the United Methodist Committee on relief:
Wind-driven wildfires on Maui have prompted evacuations and caused significant loss of life and widespread damage. UMCOR is coordinating with the California-Pacific Annual Conference to process an initial grant for emergency supplies such as shelf-stable food, water, hygiene items and tools to help survivors recover belongings. As first responders continue to provide initial aid in the area, please join UMCOR in prayer for those affected. Gifts can be made in the following ways:
- Online at https://umcmission.org/advance-project/901670
- By toll-free telephone call: 1-888-252-6174
- By check made out to Global Ministries/UMCOR with “Advance #901670-Hawaii” written on the memo line and mailed to Global Ministries/UMCOR, GPO, P.O. Box 9068, New York, NY, 10087-9068
- By check made out to Global Ministries/UMCOR with “Advance #901670-Hawaii” written on the memo line and given to any United Methodist church.
- View and download resources for giving here.
Grateful for our Connection,
Rev. Beverly B. Coppley
& Chief Missional Strategist